What do you consider to be the top qualifications of a friend? These things fill the top of my list:
3. Willing to listen
4. There when I need them
5. Accepts me for who I am
Sounds like the Lord, doesn't it? I don't think anyone could argue that He's the dearest Friend of all time. But what about us? What kind of friends are we to Jesus? Is our relationship with Him one-sided? Well, let's look at our own qualifications of a good friend and find out.
1. Can He trust us to do what's right no matter the cost?
2. Are we faithful to Him, or are we quick to "ditch" Him when we feel He's hurting our image or not doing things our way?
3. Are we willing to sit and listen to Him, or are we more likely to do all the talking (including asking for favors)?
4. Are we there for Him when He needs a willing vessel, or are we too busy doing our own thing?
5. Do we accept Him for Who He is, or do we try to change Him into what we want Him to be (spare tire, genie in a bottle, Santa Claus, etc.)?
I don't know about you, but I don't measure up very well. The Bible says, "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly." I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been a very good friend. I haven't been the perfect friend to my companions here on earth, and I certainly haven't been a very good friend to Christ. But with His help, that will change. I desire to be a better friend. I want Christ to know that He can count on me. What about you? How do you measure up? Are you a friend or a foe?
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. - Proverbs 18:24